We otter go to the beach

After two failed releases, the otters are still in my care. I take them to the local mangroves they are from for enrichment, foraging, exercise, and entertainment. Since they went Alpha the two sisters can no longer go out together as they fight for territory. It has been very difficult for me and them, but I  do what I can to keep them healthy.

We went out to the local beach bordering a mangrove forest the other day and Uma was so happy to be out mucking about in the mud searching for crabs. Uma was digging here and there when she spied some children digging a hole nearby, so she decided to help them out. After all, with 3 human kids, the rewards must be great. Unfortunately, they were only building sandcastles and so she got bored and went back to her own business. The little girl was so cute, she said, “Thanks for helping us dig lil otter.” A big Awwwwww moment for me.

Follow me on Instagram palawanottermom
Many more videos on my Youtube channel http://youtube.com/c/ottermom


Here are a few more shots of her enrichment day at the beach.


This lil  otter is looking one way, but her entire arm is down a hole in the sand grasping for crabs.
This lil otter is looking one way, but her entire arm is down a hole
in the sand grasping for crabs.



Asian small clawed otter of Palawn
Otter searching for a meal.


The kids loved seeing Uma and I told them all about her kind.



One of the otter's favorite things to do is dig in the holes where she
always finds juicy crabs.




Uma looking for more crabs

Uma loves the beach. She got her fill of crabs from holes in the mangrove forest.





Comments